State FIre Marshal Warns of 9 Volt Battery Danger

Shares proper storage tips to prevent accidental fire.

A July fire in New Hampshire sparked by a 9 volt battery in a junk drawer has fire safety officials warning of how to properly store them.

The resident had just cleaned and organized a junk drawer in her kitchen and the fire was started by storing the 9 volt battery in the same baggie as other batteries, the state fire marshal's office said in a press release.

The 9 volt battery rubbed against another battery and ignited the fire, according to the investigation by the local fire department. The fire produced smoke throughout the first floor of the home.

In the homeowner’s words, “We were fortunate not have been away for the weekend!”

According to Fire Marshal William Degnan's press release, a 9 volt battery is a fire hazard because the positive and negative posts situated next to one another. If the ends come in contact with anything metal i.e. aluminum foil, steel wool, paper clip, other batteries, etc. this will create the object to heat up and ignite a fire.

To store safely, keep batterys in their original packaging or keep ends covered. For disposal, make sure that the positive and negative posts are safely wrapped in electrical tape.

Also, remember to check your smoke alarms each month to ensure your family has the early warning to get out safely if a fire should occur in your home.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »